In this morning, I attended these sessions:
After the Keynote, Aaron plays a heartwarming trick for his 2 friends. Let's look the movie, and Congrats!
N.B. These summaries may be imprecise.
Video 1 (Japanese)
Video 2 (Japanese)
- by Yoshimasa Takahashi
- by Koichi Sasada
- Opening speech for the last RubyKaigi
- Introduction of contents at this year
- by Aaron Patterson
- title: Ruby ruined my life
- Boundaries between ruby and rails
- Boundaries between the English and the Japanese
- Ruby core team communicates with using ruby-core ML(English) and ruby-dev ML(Japanese). If someone attends only one side, there are boundary between him and the one attending only other side.
- Ruby development is under the ownershipment of each modules.
- Sometimes, waiting for fixing another module.
- Some Ruby stdlib modules are coming from external repositories.
- Are ruby core members comitting to those or not?
- Are we really the same ruby team or not?
- Rails development is NOT under the ownershipment.
- All comitters can commit to all modules. In other words, all comitters can take responsibility for all modules.
- It may be risky if anyone avoids to take that responsibilities.
- But we Ruby team should be same with rails' responsibility.
- "feel free to commit": it is important to release Ruby 1.9.3 on schedule.
- "feel free to revert": we just do the communication.
- There is a deep misunderstanding that Japanese core members is only communicating and deciding in ruby-dev.
- Improve the stdlib fundamentally
- make all stdlib changing to RubyGems
- Rapid iteration
- In Japan, there are many books about ruby - all around ruby matters.
- But , in US, there are books about learning ruby or about Rails.
- So some Rails users in US don't know the differences of ruby and rails.
- I hope, in US, the lineup of Ruby book goes up to the same level with in Japan.
- I want a book about ruby encoding.
- I suggest that the error shoould occur when ascii-8 string and non-ascii-8 string are concatenated.
- And I guess Dtrace becomes a default profiler on Ruby, if DTrace is supported by few OSs.
- Ruby Ruined my life.
- I had liked Perl
- I had waited Perl6
- But the manager had made me use Java
- So I had hated Java
- I met Ruby
- I noticed no more Java, no more Perl6
- I join to a startup with accepting pay cuts of 40%.
- But now, I become a happy.
- Thanks for all of Ruby community.
And I don't translate Q&As in the article because these are the gift for attendees in there.