Friday, October 23, 2009

Japan Linux Symposium

The 1st Japan Linux Symposium was held. I only attend opening and 2 sessions because I'm busy with public and private in this month (and I am absent 3 events related with openSUSE in this month).

  • Opening
    • speaker: Koji nishigaki
    • In Japan, Linux was used in embedded domain well.
    • And recently, used in big projects: TSE, Ministry of Justice and so on.
    • On last 2 days, The 8th Northeast Asia OSS Promotion Forum in Tokyo was held in this same venue.
    • So there are many Chinese and Korean developers.
  • Linux: Its History, Development Scheme and Implications For Open innovation
    • speaker: Linus Torvalds
    • speaker: Jim Zemlin
    • You should not schedule to become success.
    • Originally, Linux was created for myself.
    • Nowadays, I provide the place to accept codes rather than creating codes.
    • Innovations come from unexpected areas.
    • Linux usage is increasing in embedded area. And I hope in embedded area that sustainable development model of Linux will increase also.
    • The weak area of Linux is support for devices. Codes of device drevires were once written by ourselves, but, nowadays device companies that writes codes of device drevires are increasing.
    • So Linux is supporting many devices in fact, but not known well.
    • I like the concept the freedom, but it is not the reason why I work on OSS. I'm open for academic usages and commercial products.
    • I don't wnat to consider that commercial products are conflict with OSS.
    • Software development is organic like sex:-)
    • We don't need to know about all the complex functions (And I'm not knowing about all the Linux kernel).
    • In the past, camera had not required operating systems. But now camera needs OS to control the machine, to connect to wireless LAN and to upload to the Youtube (I'm not care whether its OS is Linux or not).
    • I and our community don't deal with mission-critical usage directly, Linux is still a hobby for me, but we cannot do wildly as 18 years ago.
    • final Q from Jim ZemlinMessage for the next developers (next Linus) in Japan, China and Korea
      final A from Linus TorvaldsAvoid creating the new OS :-) I don't want to became your rival. You find another niche domains: like in technology or in sport. You should absorb it on 10 hours in 1 day.
  • Unix + OSS + Ruby
    • spekaer: Matz
    • I have shook hands with Linux, so my today's purpose was fulfilled:-)
    • "My Favorite Things" are 3: UNIX, OSS and languages.
    • I bought Thinkpad X61 and power-on. But I don't agree windows' EULA, power-off, and install Debian.
    • I entered to university of information science, and I used UNIX first in there.
    • Since this time, I keep on using UNIX only.
    • I like Unix's Simplicity
      • File Descripter
      • small numbers of system calls
      • All I/Os are byte stream
    • I like Unix is Extensible
    • I like Unix is programmable
      • Emacs is not only text editor, but also Lisp environment including text editor.
    • OSS is freedom and community-based (Bazaar model of Development).
    • As Linus mentioned earlier, I also created Ruby for myself, for my hobby.
    • In 1994, I opened ruby, and nowadays there are many developers.
    • Ruby is also used for analyzing weather information on a supercomputer.
    • There are about 64 committers in Ruby community. But I have never met to 1/3 of them, and I have never known where country they are living in.
    • I like to read programming language itself.
    • I like to write programming language itself.
    • I like to think about programming language itself.
    • e.g. I had learned "Recursive call" by reading, writing and thinking about Pascal.
    • My Favorite Languages are:
      LispMeta-programming.
      SmalltalkOO. If smalltalk had become OSS in 30 years ago, I did not decied to create Ruby.
      CFile Descripter. Unix's language. C++ is NOT because it's hard to master this as cleaver as Bjarne Stroustrup.
      PerlKitchen sink approach.
    • And my most favorite thing is Ruby
N.B. These summaries may be imprecise.

No comments:

Post a Comment